Does a UK Life Insurance policy work abroad?

Life Insurance contracts offered by UK Life Companies are legally constructed to apply to people living in the UK and can be sold only to a UK resident at the time the policy is sold. There are no exceptions to this ruling.

Hot Topics

Can Life Insurance be arranged quickly?
It is dependent upon two factors: - Click here to find out more details
What is Term Life Insurance?
Term Life Insurance is a category of insurance that will payout a lump sum to you or your family if you die or fall terminally ill during the term of the policy.
Will I need a medical?
This depends upon your medical history and the exact plan you have chosen.
Will I get charged more as a smoker?
Yes you will. But first let us give you the usual Life Company’s definition of a smoker:
Life Insurance laws in Scotland
The Law relating to Life Insurance and Life Assurance is the same in Scotland as the rest of the UK. This has been the case since 2001.

Your policy, however, will not be voided if you go abroad on holiday or take a temporary work contract abroad. You would still be insured during the period abroad. When you completed your application form you will have answered several questions about your country of residence, international travel and working abroad. You must answer those questions truthfully and accurately as they applied to you at the time of the application.

As with all insurance, if you lie on your application then the Life Company will cancel your policy and refuse all claims. It is always important to be truthful.

What happens to my UK life insurance policy if I go to live abroad?

If you change country of residence you must immediately contact your Life company to see whether they will keep your policy in force. We suggest that you do this before you leave.

Most Life companies will tell you that the UK insurance policy has to be cancelled – but you should always speak to them to check. E.g they will consider where you are moving to and what your occupation will be.

How do I get life insurance if I become an expatriate?

Most UK Life Companies have divisions which specialise in insuring expatriates – its generally referred to as international life insurance. These companies are usually based offshore from the UK, in the Channel Islands or The Isle of Man. You can arrange a policy with them through an agent or a broker throughout the world. Of course, you can also arrange the insurance over the Internet.

The premiums for International insurance policies can be paid in all major currencies and you can usually specify which currency you would want the payout to be made in. One of the advantages of these types of policies is that if there is a claim, the pay out will not be subject to the laws and regulations of the country of death – it will be subject to the laws of the country in which your Life Company is based (typically the Channel Islands or The Isle of Man). This provides much greater flexibility in how the money is handled and distributed.

If you are asked to take a medical, the insurance company will make all the arrangements for you to be examined in your new country of residence.